When interviewing real estate agents to sell their homes, owners have been asking the same questions forever. Even in modern times where our resources to possible questions go way beyond books with a moldy copyright date, we still get the same dribble. Google the phrase “Questions to Ask a Realtor?”
About twenty-two million hits include top answers like: How long have you been a realtor? Have you sold homes in my neighborhood? What’s your list price to sale price ratio? Can I see your real estate license?
I could list more, but they get more pathetic. No one wants to read this stuff. There are smart questions to ask a Realtor if you want to find out if and how the agent can help you accomplish your goal. These rarely asked questions will reveal if you are talking to a person who thinks and solves issues. I come prepared to bring these questions into the conversation because making a decision on facts that require thinking and matter to the outcome are more useful. Consider these:
- From what you’ve heard today, please tell us your understanding of what’s important to us.
- What problems have you encountered with your clients in a situation like ours, and how did you resolve them?
- Considering what we need to accomplish, what should we be aware of in an offer? What are the things that will be risky for us?
- Describe what happens once the information goes into the MLS and take me through your plan to the day we look at offers.
- Multiple offers are likely. Please tell us how multiple counters work and your experience using them.
- Please share an example of something you spotted in an offer brought to the seller’s attention, and they avoided it.
- What examples do you have of how you cooperated with other brokers, and the results were good for your client?
- How did you and or your firm decide your commission rate should be _____?
- Will you agree to a lower rate? If the answer is NO, ask, Have you or your firm ever charged a lower commission?
- I was hoping you could give me one idea that you know that other agents probably don’t that you know will either increase my final net.
- OK. I know you want to show me your company’s marketing plan. I’d like to see it. How much will it cost your firm to run this plan?
We are Essential Real Estate. The insight you will get from a conversation with us will change your outcome for the better. We’re also going to increase your final net by at least 2% compared to brokers who charge a commission of 6%. Simply by charging a fee tied to the power of the market.
We will show you our value is in our ability to represent you with smart negotiation strategies. We show you how important it is for you that we keep your business confidential. We show you how the terms of offers unless modified, are dangerous/risky for you. We show you how we will prepare for a smooth transaction by eliminating buyer opportunities to surprise us late in the game.
You don’t just want your home sold. You want your home equity for your next plan. The more of your equity you keep, the better. We make sure you keep more equity by charging a better rate and protecting you from things that can go wrong at the worst possible times.
You’re home will be sold regardless of who you hire. What you keep and what you lose are determined by the skill of your agent and the cost of the service.